Re: Dealing with ICMPv6 network unreachable.

On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 16:00 -0700, Dennis Ferguson wrote:
>   having dhcpcd using BPF to send and receive raw packets instead (a
>   sure sign your protocol stack is missing something it should have).

On Linux, the original dhcpcd (way before I got my mits on it) didn't
need the equivalent of BPF. It digested every packet on the interface
and was a massive CPU hog as a result.

For IPv6 we have ICMP filtering. It could be argued that adding anything
like this for IPv4 is pretty redundant because we have  BPF (LPF on
Linux). The only plausible argument for it would be to standardize cross
platform ... but LPF accepts BPF filters.

TLDR; it should have had it in the first place but it didn't. Adding it
now doesn't really gain us anything.

Roy