Re: Dealing with ICMPv6 network unreachable.

On Fri, 2015-04-03 at 09:58 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 08:09:49PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > [...]
> >   It seems that the proper response of TCP to net/host unreachable is
> >   arguable.  In the case you mention, it's best to abort, but a
> >   transient unreachable situation on a TCP connection shouldn't kill the
> >   connection.
>
> I fully agree. I just got my ssh connections to a linux host killed
> only because I unplugged/replugged the ethernet cable of said linux box.
> That's very annoying.

I would argue that's correct behaviour because the addresses will become
non functional when you take the cable out. In the IPv6 case on NetBSD
the addresses will be marked as detached and then tentative when the
cable is plugged back in. I think in the Linux case the addresses are
just removed. With dhcpcd running it will remove the addresses. There is
no guarantee the same network will be plugged back in.

If you want ssh to persist in any way or form, run tmux or screen at the
other end.

Roy