Re: IPv6 Stable Private Addresses RFC 7217

On Jun 4, 2014, at 8:19 AM, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
> Yes, dhcpcd started out life as a DHCP client, but it's evolved into a
> network management daemon over time.
> I see DHCP(4/6), IPv4LL and IPv6 SLAAC as part of automatic network
> configuration.

Hm.   I'm accustomed to using rtsold for SLAAC, but dhcpcd does seem to do a
nicer job.   This model of doing everything outside the kernel, rather than
doing it automatically in-kernel as Linux does, seems like the right move.
I've never loved the in-kernel dhcpv4 client anyway--it seems like an
additional attack vector, and bootstrapping with a small in-memory userland
which is jettisoned after NFS is running seems like a perfectly cromulent
solution to the diskless problem.