Re: AsiaBSDCon 2014 BoF: Improving bridge(4) or Toward a Unified L2 Framework

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Gert Doering <gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost>
wrote:
> HI,
>
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 07:52:23PM +0900, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
>> This proposal is a bit radical though, anyway we think
>> we have to improve bridge(4), say making it L3 capable.
>
> What exactly would a "L3 capable" bridge(4) be?  As opposed to "normal
> routed interfaces"?

One direction would, as you say, make bridge(4) normal routed interfaces,
like other BSD families and Linux. OTOH, we are thinking another direction
having a special interface for a bridge where the interface acts a routed
interface instead of the bridge itself. The design has benefits that it can
keep bridge(4) L2 (letting bridges have L3 features is strange for us),
keep bridge(4) code itself simple, and its structure fits the unification of
dataplanes that we proposed in the presentation.

  ozaki-r