Re: (with patch!) Re: ICMP_UNREACH_NEEDFRAG returns iface MTU instead of route?

> Here is a patch to fix it the other way (use interface MTU when
> forwarding)

Hmm, I don't like that because it makes it impossible to impose a lower
MTU limit for some but not all of the forwarding traffic through an
interface.  (This is something that should never be necessary.  But the
net is not that ideal.)

> It [...] has the advantage, to me at least, of being a 1-line change.

I'm not sure why one-line versus five-line makes all that much
difference.  If this is done, I expect "route MTUs are ignored when
forwarding" bugs to get filed, because I would certainly _expect_
forwarding traffic using a particular route to pay attention to the
route's MTU.  Having route MTUs paid attention to only sometimes
strikes me as far worse than having to change a whole four more lines
in the fix.

> I suggest we fix it this way for now and count the dancing angels
> once we have stopped being stuck with the pins.

Why the derision?  As amusing as the turn of phrase is, I don't see the
issue as angel-dancing in any sense and certainly not deserving of
being made out to be ridiculous like this.

Still, it's no skin off my nose, since my systems won't be affected
either way; if you really think NetBSD would be better off paying
attention to route MTUs only sometimes, go for it.

\ / Ribbon Campaign