Re: axe(4) woes

Hi,

As a metric, does anyone have a working axe(4)?

I've seen a number of problems with both axe and other cheap USB-ethernet adapters. On ones which work, performance is definitely an issue on some (some can barely do a couple hundred kilobytes a second, and a gigabit one only does about 40 Mbps). On the other hand, I use Apple axe USB-ethernet adapters in a few places (Seagate Dockstar, Raspberry Pi) which run at 60+ Mbps (which is the fastest the Internet connection goes).

axe0 at uhub1 port 3
axe0: Apple Computer Apple USB to Ethernet, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 4
axe0: Ethernet address 00:1f:5b:fe:c0:ec
ukphy0 at axe0 phy 16: OUI 0x007063, model 0x0006, rev. 1
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

Perhaps some phy improvements from FreeBSD will help, but there's always the possibility that yours is just really cheap and buggy or broken.

John