Re: ifconfig v2

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:50:24PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> I was just reminded what improvements can be made to ifconfig output
> when I read this ifconfig output that appeared on current-users today:

I gather there are two crucial points to your proposal:

- you want to display interface configuration information in a more
  format more friendly to humans.
- you don't want to remember to have to use a special command line flag.

Others have pointed out that changing ifconfig's default output format
is problematic.

But there is an easy alternative.  Produce the new format under a
different name.  You could call it "ifinfo".  It's even shorter to type.

--chris