Re: Increase tcp initial window

On Mar 30,  7:49pm, gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost (Greg Troxel) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: Increase tcp initial window

| I think this parameter is in the domain of network research.  Network
| researchers can make their own code changes; it's not like this is hard.
| If there's an IETF consensus to implement it, we can do so immediately.
| I think it's not good Internet citizenship to hand users an option
| before then.

I think that ship has already sailed a long time ago:

http://www.cdnplanet.com/blog/tune-tcp-initcwnd-for-optimum-performance/
http://monolight.cc/2010/12/increasing-tcp-initial-congestion-window/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2472264
http://blog.benstrong.com/2010/11/google-and-microsoft-cheat-on-slow.html

In addition, the browsers opening multiple connection streams by
default end up doing more harm than bumping bumping initcwnd to a max
of 10 or 16.

As you probably already most other OS's (except the BSD's and AIX) provide
a tunable that is clamped to 10 or 16.

christos