Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:10:41PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
It's not just about whether or not you use them.

It's about whether the system supports it and what the
overall design is.

The problem is that this label is nothing more than a
convenience. It doesn't add to the design or the overall
architecture of NetBSD's networking.

Yes, it's not intended to be more than a convenience. user-settable names
aren't more than this either (but less convenient, IMHO).

This conversation has gone really long, and I'm still not sure of the outcome of it. I have however a simple patch that allows renaming network interfaces. Is there any interest on posting it?