Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

On 23.06.2012 16:28, Darren Reed wrote:
> On 24/06/2012 12:21 AM, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>> On 23.06.2012 15:51, Darren Reed wrote:
>>> Linux's method associates names by driver type (eth0, eth1, etc).
>>
>> It's more complicated than that. Nowadays it uses udev to generate
>> device names, each distros having their own set of rules. Persistence in
>> setups where the MAC address is randomly allocated (very frequent with
>> VPS) caused all sort of misconfiguration issues: rebooting the VM moved
>> eth0 to eth1/2/3, ... causing havoc in network scripts.
>
> I was unaware that Linux had this bug. I don't believe that
> either HP-UX or Solaris 11 do.

It's not a "bug" per see. It also uses hardware information to identify
interfaces, so when you have a random MAC, you get different IDs.

Sometimes it makes sense (you do not expect the MAC to change without
notice for real NICs), sometimes it does not (interfaces created
dynamically, like virtual NICS and taps...).

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost