Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

On Saturday 23 June 2012 03:01:57 Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:29:09PM -0600, Sverre Froyen wrote:
> > Could you not specify the ethernet address, pass it to qemu and use it to
> > identify the interface? In other words, use the ethernet address as an
> > interface alias/label.
>
> The ethernet address is not guaranteed to be unique.

But you can *choose* to make them unique, can you not? Seems to me this is
just like any other label.

In some ways it surprises me that the label issue first(?) comes up for
network interfaces, since these already have multiple "labels": ethernet
address, IP address, etc. I have had more trouble identifying disk and com
devices that show up at random places.

Regards,
Sverre