Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

>>> I'm not really sure using an external command is better than
>>> performing a set of ioctls,
>> It is, however, immensely more flexible.
> Yes, but you need all the [infrastructure]

True.  I'm not competent to hold an opinion on which way that tradeoff
goes, though if Qemu is already capable of running scripts then it must
have most of that machinery in place - though the point about handling
errors is still a good one.

> Yes, that will be good, being able to create interface name
> "symlinks" (unless we start polluting /dev/ with a forest of
> symlinks).

Well, interface names do not, in general, appear in the filesystem
anywhere, /dev or otherwise, so what I was loosely calling interface
name symlinks would not clutter /dev.

> Should this be a global thing for all network interfaces?

Well, if you `symlink' vif7.1 to tap4, then it's as global as any other
interface name, or at least it would be under the paradigm I was
imagining.

> I've found some information about a remote interface (QMP) that
> allows fetching information from Qemu instances, theoretically we
> should be able to fetch the "tap" device name from there, but it
> seems like the required command to fetch network interfaces
> information was never added.

Ooh, yeah, that sounds like an even better approach.

\ / Ribbon Campaign