Re: Correct method for IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 07:21:00AM -0400, Izaac wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 07:28:13PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > This isn't for permanent use, it's for testing and just easier to type.
> >
> > FWIW, I often use 1.1.1.1 or 1::1 for similar purposes.
>
> Don't do that.  It's not private address space.  Don't develop bad
> habits.  In others.

What he said.  The result of the incautious doing this for decades, as
you probably know, is that network 1 has become unusable.  And these days,
it would be awfully nice to actually be able to put it to use!

It's not that _you_ would let the addresses escape to the wild.  It's
that idiots looking over your shoulder (or at your examples in code or
documentation etc.) will blindly copy them into production.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%panix.com@localhost