Re: Correct method for IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 01:13:19AM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

> I suppose that's what confused me. Doing this:
>
> # ifconfig gif0 inet6 10::1 10::2
>
> didn't default to a prefixlen of 128 and it just fails with
> a non-specific error message. I'd argue that ifconfig
> should use a prefixlen of 128 in such situations automatically
> and not require it on the command line, yes?

It would need a table prefixlen per protocol - because gif can do
any to any, at least in principle - and to somehow guess whether
an interface is dualuse as broad/multicast and pointtopoint device -
or to avoid the prefixlen when a destination address is named, and
let the device sort it out. That's a bit easier - in theory, we use
the same method (let the device sort out whether it can do that) now,
only that we always set /64 if the user hasn't specified an explicit
prefixlen.

Regards,
        -is