Re: Thinking about "branes" for netbsd...

Hi,

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:05:12AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > I stumble over the "processes get chroot'd into branes" thing that
> > always seems to arise in conversations about branes since, for most
> > of the applications of multiple routing instances that I understand,
> > this is not very useful.
>
> I'm not even sure what it could mean, since chroot is about pathname
> interpretation and IP packet routing has nothing to do with pathnames
> as far as I can see.  Perhaps something is being extended
> metaphorically, but it's unclear to me what or how that could be.

"Give processes a different view to the network than 'the rest of the
machine' has" - not that different to "give processes a different view to
the file system", no?

In a way similar to jails on FreeBSD, where you can restrict which IP
addresses can be used by the jailed processes.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost