Re: Mbufs stored in RX queues

mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:

> The mbuf needs to exist before the interrupt is requested. If you want to
> pass up a new mbuf you need to copy the data to that new mbuf first. Some
> drivers even do this, but only for small packets that fit into a single
> header mbuf.

But my case is if the data is stored outside the mbuf (M_EXT). I agree
that the memory which is written by the DMA should be available prior to
the interrupt, and in sufficient quantity to hold enough packets before
the RX interrupt is triggered. My question is specifically about the
mbuf structs in this case. I don't see the point of having a lot of them
lying around.

Regards,
 Aymeric