Re: Retiring dhclient

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:00:53 +0800, Ted Lemon wrote:
If dhcpcd really is better than dhclient, I could probably hack in
DHCPv6 support pretty easily.

That would be appreciated as my development time over the past year has been a trickle at best whilst I can provide fixes, adding full blown DHCPv6 and IPv6 ND is a bigger task than I thought. Mainly due to my lack of understanding of writing IPv6 code, constructing addresses from prefixes and then trying to merge that into existing dhcpcd to keep code size down.

If anyone wants to do it, it needs to work dual stack with the exiting DHCPv4, IPv4LL code and follow the same routing logic and priority. Although I do keep dhcpcd in NetBSD fairly up-to-date it's always best to work against my GIT repo @ git://roy.marples.name/dhcpcd.git

  One thing that spooks me about dhcpcd
though is that it supports dbus, which I've always found to be
basically unuseable.   But I haven't tried it in years.   Do you
consider this a valuable feature of dhcpcd for NetBSD, or just a
bullet point?

My goal at the start was to provide a GTK+ systray icon to display how dhcpcd was configured on my attached networks. When I started writing this someone said "Why not supply a dbus interface so GNOME apps can communicate easily". Sounded like a good idea at the time, along with removing the abomination called NetworkManager.

Since then I've come to kind of loath dbus as using the raw C library as I did, rather than the glib library (I hate needless dependencies) is very painful. On the other hand, dhcpcd-gtk uses it quite nicely as a very functional (imo ofc ;) sys tray applet that allows to configure very basic ipv4 information and choose your wireless network.

Long story short, as others have pointed out, it's just a bullet point and has no place in NetBSD base system.

Thanks

Roy