Re: ping: sendto: No buffer space available

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 08:37:47AM +0100, David Laight wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure there are many applications that would be
> badly affected by making datagram sends blockable due to network
> flow control.

Personally, I'm worried about any kernel behavior change that makes
it so that I/O from my applications can block when traditionally it
couldn't.  I write a lot of event-driven code that sends and receives
datagrams, and assuredly I do not want to have the kernel causing my
datagram sends to block in a way they formerly did not.

From my point of view, the error in the case we're discussing is,
in fact, that we return an error.  It's a UDP packet -- it should be
silently dropped.  Error notification, if any, should be out of band,
for example by way of the system console.