Re: shutting out dictionary attacks on ssh passwords

> For those of us with public IP addresses, what is the most popular
> and effective way to shut out the various door-knob turners who keep
> trying account/password combinations again ssh and other such
> services?

Well, personally, I deal with ssh in two ways: (1) by not offering to
accept password authentication at all from arm's-length hosts and (2)
border router blacklisting anyone who exhibits various kinds of
misbehaviour, such as the "Bye Bye" ssh syndrome.

I haven't bothered with anything analogous for FTP.  My FTP server
doesn't do non-anonymous logins at all, and the log noise from
doorknob-rattlers is nothing compared to the log spew from googlebot
crawling the whole thing repeatedly.

                                        Mouse