Re: What should be the abstraction for ethernet switches?

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Zoltan Arnold NAGY wrote:

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Lloyd Parkes
<lloyd%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost> wrote:

On 11/05/2011, at 12:03 PM, Matt Thomas wrote:

How do they interact with the vlan and bridge interfaces?

We may be able to get some ideas from the Cisco Nexus and VMware virtual switch
systems. They are supposed to have virtualised the control plane, and we may be
able to get useful ideas from their control plane model.

I don't know anything about them other than dark mutterings coming from my
co-workers about the accuracy of the documentation.
While we're at it, we could have a look at OpenSolaris' network
virtualization code, which I kinda liked very
much.

Or perhaps http://openvswitch.org/

It's even got a useful license.

--