Re: Intel I340-T2 card question

On Mon, 2 May 2011, David Arnold wrote:

On 02/05/2011, at 5:32 PM, Dmitry Cherkassov wrote:

Could you say please will Intel I340-T2 eth adapter (that one for
IBM/System x) work with ordinary PC?

I'm going to need network card for UDP packets timestamping GSoC project.

Do you any other cards with that capability having NetBSD drivers?

The I340 cards are, I think, based on the i82580 chip.  The i82576 chip also
has timestamp support, although I was told recently it's not as good as the
82580.

The I340 cards are based on the 82580, and yes, the timestamp support
has been improved. The datasheet (an all-in-one programming guide as
well now) should be available on http://www.intel.com/go/ethernet. Look
for the one for the actual Ethernet controller (the 82580). Make sure
you look at the Specification Update as well.

I was looking into updating the driver for several parts, but NetBSD
uses an older style of driver (unlike FreeBSD and Linux ) and it's
pretty opaque to me.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost