Re: Old network interfaces still alive?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:03:33PM +0800, Dennis Ferguson wrote:

> While my memory is dim, however, I don't think FDDI interfaces by
> themselves are enough in any case since I don't think they can just
> be connected back-to-back.  I have a feeling that a FDDI hub to stick
> between them is non-optional, so if you haven't got a hub to go
> with the cards there may be no hope in any case.

IIRC FDDI is more like token ring than ethernet (wakkypodea suggersts it
is token bus), I think that means you can connect machines directly to each
other - although the cabling would get confusing!

100M ethernet is enough to kill FDDI - since it has fewer failure modes.

ATM to the desktop was, of course, still born :-)

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost