Re: pppoe(4) PPPOE_SERVER test

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:12:33 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:

> I.e. a clean rebuild worked for you?
> I never saw those problems when I wrote the documentation that you
> referred to (after fiddling with it, too). What I didn't have was agr(4)
> in the game, and I wonder if you can try without that if it still does act
> up.

I initially believed that despite having the PPPOE_SERVER option my
kernel didn't have the server code built as nm(1) was missing symbols,
but this appears to be due to inlining.  I verified that the
PPPOE_SERVER code was really being built, and also see some
server-specific strings in my image, so the support is definitely in.

So somehow the server mode doesn't seem to respond at all, yet it could
possibly be a tap(4) or bridge(4) related issue indeed, but I've not
yet found what the problem could be, checking their code.  I previously
used successfully tap(4) and bridge(4) in another context, where the
tap interface was bridged to an actual ethernet one, then driven by
custom test network stack software (not involving pppoe(4) at all).
This was however my first try at a tap(4)<->tap(4) bridge.

I'll have to try using two actual ethernet interfaces when I can.  Then
at least I'll narrow down a bit where the problem could be.  I should
also try another tap(4)<-bridge(4)->tap(4) test with other things than
pppoe(4), like a listening daemon on one end and a client on the
other...

Thanks,
--
Matt