Re: Bridge interface and IP address

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 08:03:24PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:38:51 +0200
>     From:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>
>   | No, you can't assign an IP address to a bridge in NetBSD.
>   | Just assign the IP to one of the interfaces member of the bridge,
>
> Is there a good reason it is done this way, or is this just one of those
> things that would be better fixed, but no-one has considered important
> enough to do anything about (yet at least) ?
>
> I ask because it always seemed backwards to me - the bridge ouught to be
> the "higher level" interface, with the underlying hardware being just the
> components used to build it - kind of like we build a raidframe "device"
> out of real hardware (or anything that looks like real hardware).

To me is looks the right way to do it: a bridge is not a host interface,
it's just a tool connecting host interfaces.
I'm not sure what we'd gain by turning it in a host interface (not mentioning
administrative issues like e.g. what ethernet address should be used
by the bridge as a host interface ?)