Re: bsd licensed mdnsd project

On 1 April 2010 04:46, Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:21:59AM -0300, Christiano F. Haesbaert wrote:
>> Some of you may already know that I'm working on an open mdns
>> implementation, avahi is gpl and apple's mdnsd is apache2, so that
>> leaves us with no choice. Some devs have expressed interest in having
>> a mdns implementation, I thought it would be fun so here it is :P.
>
> What API do you intend to support? A daemon alone is unfortunately not
> very useful because program won't be able to register with it.

I'll develop a library using the imsg framework, as I didn't start
coding dns-sd features yet, I haven't thought much of the  API.

The current API provides simple synchronous mdns lookups:
  mdns_lkup
  mdns_lkup_addr
  mdns_lkup_hinfo

Each call is stateless (read: it connects to the daemon makes the
request and waits for the answer, then it disconnects).

I'm aware that this isn't sufficient for for dns-sd, I had a look at
avahi's and bonjour's API, and quite frankly, I think they're bloated,
it seems too complicate considering it's such a simple task (register
services/browse services).
I'm aware that Avahi followed some of bonjour API's design.

Summing up, I'll design a whole new API.

At this time I'm working on name conflicts and name compression.

obs: I'm not subscribed to the list, so CC me please.