SIOCSIFADDR for AF_INET

Hi,
while testing agr(4) with a cisco switch, I discovered that agr
relies on SIOCSIFADDR for AF_INET doing something usefull:
ifconfig agr0 agrport epic0 agrport wm0  works, while
ifconfig agr0 agrport wm0  agrport epic0 doens't.
AFAIK only wm(4) does something with SIOCSIFADDR(AF_INET), other
drivers either relies on ether_ioctl() which silently ignores it,
or have their own copy of ether_ioctl() which does the same.
ifconfig can change the link layer address too, and I believe
it works for more than just wm(4).

What is the correct way of doing this ? ifconfig(4) uses SIOCALIFADDR
for this, but this works on a socket not a ifp; can it easily be used from
a kernel interface driver ?