Re: Registrars with free DynDNS services of my own domains.

On 02/24/2010 01:51 AM, matthew sporleder wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Marcin M. Jessa <lists%yazzy.org@localhost>
wrote:
Hi guys.

I don't know of any more suitable NetBSD list to ask my question so I will
ask here.
I need a registrar which can host my own domains and in exchange give me a
dyndns service for the @ records of my domains as an extra free of charge
service.
Do you guys know of any registrars that can do that?

I use afraid.org as a DNS service and any registrar will do.
That's a nice place! Thanks Matthew.

I actually figured out I can run my own services for all my domains
on a dynamic IP without breaking any DNS related RFC.

I have 2 DNS servers, a master with static IP and a slave with dynamic IP (both can have a dynamic IP). The resgistrar (godaddy) does not require IPs when defining custom DNS servers so one of the DNS servers can run just fine on a dynamic IP as long as it's host has defined an A record and not a CNAME.
And as long as the Arecord for my domains is not set it should be fine.

But not having A records for the domains will of course mean that
I won't be able to access http://domain.tld , just http://www.domain.tld
But there is a solution to it too.
Having access to the master DNS I just can easly update all the A records with a script.
I use PowerDNS to host my domains and it's just a metter of running one
SQL query to have everything updated and working just fine.

All I have to do is to check if IP of my dyndns host has changed and run the SQL query
to update all the A records on the master server to match that new IP.

Thanks.

Marcin.