Re: lib/42405: libc: getaddrinfo() should perform T_A lookups before T_AAAA lookups, was: Resolver problems

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 03:13:28PM -0800, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> It's entirely reasonable to make this configurable, although for the
> original circumstance Ingolf describes, where "v6 support has
> already been removed from my kernel -- no interface has a v6
> address", it's hardly arbitrary for an IPv4-only system to try A
> lookups before hoping that an AAAA lookup

But that is not what your patch does unless I missunderstood it.
Your patch will unconditionally prefer A records on a all system
no matter whether the kernel supports IPv6 or not.

> Anyway, by all means, please submit a better solution and update
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=42405 accordingly.
> :-)

I could argue that as you want to change behaviour of core component
after many years that it is your responsibility to make that behaviour
configurable to maintain backwards compatibility.

        Kind regards