Re: PTP host address loops back through destination?

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 18:49:37 Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > I have
> >
> > pppoe0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
> >         inet 1.2.3.4 -> 5.6.7.8 netmask 0xffffffff
> >
> > traceroute to 1.2.3.4
> > 1 5.6.7.8
> > 2 1.2.3.4
> >
> > Why does this happen?
>
> I guess, it's because the route for this address is through the pppoe0
> interface (try: route get -host 1.2.3.4), and as it's a p2p interface
> it sends all packets to the remote end without looking at the local
> address.

Can I assume that this is a bug and as such file a PR, or behaviour by design?

> > Can I stop this behaviour as traffic for the host
> > shouldn't leave the host?
>
> I guess you can manually set a route to lo0 for 1.2.3.4

*facepalm*

This works fine, thanks! Nice easy solution.

I added this to /etc/ip-up
/sbin/route add -host $4 127.0.0.1
and remove it in /etc/ip-down the same way.
Should we add this http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/pppoe/ ?

Thanks

Roy