Re: PROPSAL: import Apple's mDNSResponder

On Sep 20, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Ty Sarna wrote:

I'd like to import Apple's mDNSResponder to the system. I think zeroconf is becoming more basic functionality, and is desirable across NetBSD's range of markets these days.

Violent agreement. I'd love to see mDNSResponder in NetBSD. Thanks for looking into this!

2) Add reachover makefile for mdnsd. (QUESTION: do we want to call it mdnsd, which is how the supplied makefile builds it for "posix", or mDNSResponder, which is what OS/X calls it? OpenSolaris went with mdnsd)

My vote is for mdnsd.

4) OPTION: the pkg currently installs some debugging tools like mDNSIdentify, mDNSClientPosix, etc. These don't ship in OS X. Do we reachover these as well? My feeling is no -- get them from pkgsrc if you need them.

Agreed.

6) Create a rc.d script for it (QUESTION: does it default on or off?)

Off.

7) Supply client library functionality (QUESTION: separate libdns_sd, or include in libc a'la OS X? OpenSolaris went separate.)

Probably separate.

Soren