Re: NetBSD5_Install_Setkey

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:53:47AM +0200, M. Maachaoui wrote:

> I am using NetBSD 5, how can I install the setkey tools from source code.

Download the system sources into /usr/src:

# cd /usr
# cvs -danoncvs%anoncvs.netbsd.org@localhost:/cvsroot co -P -rnetbsd-5-0 src

Then, if you really want to build just setkey:

# cd /usr/src/sbin/setkey
# make depend
# make
# make install

However, a lot of code you might expect to find in setkey is actually
in libipsec.  Perhaps you want to build that from source first:

# cd /usr/src/lib/libipsec
# make depend
# make
# make install
# cd /usr/src/sbin/setkey
# make depend
# make
# make install

But this does leave one wondering why you'd want to build just setkey
from source.  If you got your NetBSD binaries from us, if you don't
trust your setkey binary certainly there's little reason to trust the
compiler we supply you with -- whether it's compiling "setkey" or even
compiling another compiler you might use to compile setkey.  At the very
least, you should do a full system build -- if nobody played Thompson's
compiler trick on you, that should be sufficient.  You can do that with
build.sh.  If you're not going to do that, and you're worried about a
bad setkey binary, little else you can do will help; but if you don't
trust us to supply you with good binaries, in the end, rebuilding the
system won't help much either.

At least you can cross-build NetBSD.  Then we'd have to collude with a
lot of other people to really ensure we stuck it to you.

Thor