Re: packet filters for NetBSD in the future

I should have replied to this long ago...

Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:35:04 -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Subject: Re: packet filters for NetBSD in the future
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:12:19PM -0000, yancm%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost
>> wrote:
>>> Darren occasionally updates the NetBSD version with his base code
>>> releases.
>> Unfortunately, as far as I can tell this is not so.  That is not to say
>> that it would not be a good thing if it were so, nor that Darren has any
>> obligation to make it so -- but it's not so.
>
> Well, Darren did do the updates to at least two revisions since IPF was
> relegated off to the /usr/src{/sys}/dist area, the most important from
> this perspective perhaps also being the most recent:

Correct.

Whilst it may be that what's in NetBSD doesn't match
the latest that can be obtained from elsewhere, that
isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am, however, trying
to move to a release model for ipfilter that means
choosing a particular version to integrate isn't such
a problem that it is now (and means there is less
boring work required to stay current.)

Furthermore, I try to be proactive (from time to time)
on looking at which bugs are open against ipfilter and
looking to see what can be done about them.

When there are "urgent" bugs, they get attended to.

> Darren also did do lots more direct work on IPF directly in the NetBSD
> repository prior to IPF being moved into the dist areas thus I think
> fully justifying Gene's remarks.

Where it is makes no difference... although having it
in dist does make some things easier.

Additionally, I try to involve others, where possible
and where there are willing victims...>;-)

Darren