ifconfig link documentation ?

Hi,
how is 'ifconfig foo link' supposed to work ? I've not found references
to it in ifconfig(8).

I've a sample ethernet adapter which doesn't have an eeprom for
mac address (or I've not found how to talk to it), and I'm wondering
if ifconfig foo link could help in such a situation to give a useable
mac address to the device before ifconfig up.