Re: wiconfig(8) and non-wi(4) 802.11 drivers

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:23:04PM -0400, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Hello!  I'd like to use some of the functionality offered by
> wiconfig(8), but for drivers other than wi(4).  (More specifically,
> I'd like to implement some of its knobs in bwi(4).)  I examined the
> implementation of wiconfig(8), and it seems awfully specific to the
> design of the wi(4) hardware.  Is it worth my time to emulate the way
> that wi(4) looks, implementing the SIOCGIFGENERIC and SIOCSIFGENERIC
> ioctls with struct wi_req buffers; or will this be changing to
> something more generic in the kernel's 802.11 support?

It is not worth your time to emulate wi(4).  wiconfig(8) is overdue to
be deleted.  Some people depended on it to do some thing that ifconfig(8)
now does, such as change the MAC address.  (Perhaps people still use it
to fiddle with the "authentication mode", too?  It should be easy enough
to support that in ifconfig(8).)

What wiconfig(8) functions do you need for bwi(4)?

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24