Re: destroy ppp(4) on closing tty

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:35:52AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20080407224332.GB2154%drowsy.duskware.de@localhost>,
> Martin Husemann  <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:24:34AM +0900, Yasuoka Masahiko wrote:
> >> I thought we should consider compatibility with other OSs, so I looked
> >> FreeBSD and Linux.  FreeBSD 7.0 remains ppp on all cases, and CentOS
> >> 4.5 destroys on all cases, there is nothing we learn from these OSs.
> >
> >I have no strong opinion, but either of those seem more consistent to
> >me than to make close() behave differently depending on history of the
> >device.
>
> Well, if pppd opened the device and pppd dies/exits/closes the device,
> then the device should dissappear, otherwise in a system where you have
> many ppp sessions happen dynamically you are end up with a lot of unused
> ppp<N> interfaces. Of course you can teach pppd to remove the cloners...

No, because an unused ppp interface will be re-used, so you only end up
with as many interfaces as the maximum number of concurrent sessions.

I guess we could not make the closing from pppd destroy the interface so
it is consistent.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost