Re: destroy ppp(4) on closing tty

  > Patching ppp(4) so that interfaces created by ifconfig create remain
  > after clossing the tty seems like the right thing to do.

  I thought we should consider compatibility with other OSs, so I looked
  FreeBSD and Linux.  FreeBSD 7.0 remains ppp on all cases, and CentOS
  4.5 destroys on all cases, there is nothing we learn from these OSs.
  I think now our patch is the best.

Good point, but given that you found out that it varies widely, making
it sensible seems good.

  > I don't understand why a tun(4) device created when /dev/tunN is written
  > to should remain after last close.  But that's really a separate issue.

  I think there is no reason to remain tun(4) after last close if we can
  keep it remain by 'ifconfig create'.

  A patch for tun(4) is attached.

I think it's fine to commit your patch if there are no objections for a
few days.