Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 00:25:33 David Laight wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:34:43PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 03:22:43PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > >         ~57k (dhcpcd) + ~10k (ifwatchd) = ~67k total
> >
> > IMO 57KB is still quite a bit for the client only.
>
> Is that a challenge ?

I see it as such :)
I've already re-tooled the DHCP handling section of the code that deals with
client configuration so it uses code to access the DHCP message directly
instead of a custom structure.

But I'd like to gather peoples opinions on what size a feature rich DHCP
client should be.
Remember, dhcpcd is written purely in C. dhclient for all it's bloat still
relies on dhclient-script and it's supporting binaries is as ifconfig, route,
etc.

So if 57k is "quite a bit", what is "optimal"?

Thanks

Roy