Subject: Re: racoon broken in -current: grab_myaddrs and SIOCGIFCONF
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/30/2007 17:59:02
--eOZ5LUtYRk41oVSR

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:48:53AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> racoon doesn't work in current because SIOCGIFCONF is broken. (I know
> racoon should probably not use SIOCGIFCONF, but instead getifaddrs.  I
> won't argue, but SIOCGIFCONF should work in any case.)
>=20
> As far as I can tell there are two things wrong:
>=20
> * commit to sys/net/if.h to include sockaddr_storage in struct ifreq.
>   This breaks ABI compatability and things don't seem versioned.  I
>   don't understand the rationale for this change.

Yes they are.  Granted, the code is hard to understand.

Besides, SIOCGIFCONF is explicitely versioned.

[...]
> Christos: can you explain which ioctls were trouble?  I don't follow
> from your commit message below.

The issue is that ifreq was used to store stuff larger that struct
sockaddr.  Christos's change makes ifreq suitable for any address
family, which is a good thing IMO.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--eOZ5LUtYRk41oVSR

--eOZ5LUtYRk41oVSR--