Subject: Re: keepalive per socket settings patch
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/19/2007 22:01:12
Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is pretty straight forward... The question is do we let setsockopt
> specify arbitrary values, or do we cap them to the global settings like
> I do now? Comments? If there are no disagreements I will commit this after
> I write the documentation. If there are, speak now and I won't bother
> with the docs.

The most common criticism I've discussed with people about the
keep alive packets is the problem that you're addressing: different
applications want different keep alive values.

I don't think there should be an upper bound, as this reduces the
amount of extra traffic/work generated in a given period.

With IPFilter, the largest TCP idle timeout default is 5 days,
aimed at the ssh/telnet/etc window that you look at "every now
and then".  I don't know if that is a good suggestion for where
to start with an upper limit or not.

The bigger problem is the lower bound....
Is it too much to allow an application to specify it as being 500ms?
And what if apache does this for all n000 connections?
Should that just be a configuration error or ...?

Darren