Subject: Re: How to configure an ethernet interface which has point to point
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: mrchit_2000 <luong.ngo@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/15/2007 01:46:04
David Young wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 04:54:43PM -0700, mrchit_2000 wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am having trouble with bringing up an ethernet interfaces on my system.
>> Here is my situation. I have a system which have 2 CPU. Each of the CPU
>> has
>> a MAC interface connected directly to the other via RGMII without phys.
>> This
>> makes me think this is  a point-to-point link. When configuring the
>> interfaces on the 2 CPU,  I use ifconfig :
>>      ifconfig eth2 10.10.10.10 10.10.10.22 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>
>> The interfaces are setup in driver with these flags: IFF_POINTOPOINT,
>> IFF_NO_ARP, IFF_SIMPLEX and IFF_NOTRAILER. Here is the display when do
>> ifconfig eth2:
>
> Are you able to modify the driver?  Throughout the ethernet common code,
> NetBSD will assume a broadcast interface where ARP works.  If you follow
> the convention, you may have an easier time.

I have access to the driver but not sure what to change. I want the kernel
not to do any arp on the interface, can I do that? I guess one way is to add
a static arp entry, but any other way? Anyway to tell the kernel just send
out the packet to the interface and the other end just pickup without
looking at the destination MAC address? How normally is a point to point
link interface configured?

Thanks a lot,
-Ln