Subject: Sending network traffic to "self" externally - is it possible?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan Phillippe <bryanp35@comcast.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/15/2007 01:24:49
Hello,

I would like to conduct some ethernet network testing using a NetBSD
client & server configuration.  The unusual part about this is that I
want my configuration to be a single NetBSD system functioning as
both a client and a server, physically sending network traffic out on
interface and back into another, using a cross-cable.

I initially attempted to set this up on a Linux system, but any
configuration I could devise was still defeated by the routing code,
which knew that the destination was ultimately "local" and would
"receive" the traffic without ever physically sending it.  AFAICT,
making it work the way I want would have required a convoluted
iptables configuration or a kernel patch.  I'm hoping the NetBSD team
has already provided a knob for doing this on NetBSD!

TIA,
--
-bp