Subject: Re: GSoC 2007
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/04/2007 18:26:31
On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 05:59:20PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>  - There should not be a new token field in mbufs, just use m_tag(9)

I would explicitly discourage m_tag. The overhead of maintaining another
two allocations per packet is IMO completely wrong. It was nice during
initial development of some subsystems, it is also useful for large
allocations like IPsec does, but in general firewalls and ALTQ should
get a few bytes in the packet header for this.

I tried that in DragonFly and it actually simplified e.g. PF quite a
bit.

Joerg