Subject: Re: Routing pppd clients through a netbsd pppd server
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/19/2007 10:52:17
On Feb 17, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> If they IP addresses are part of a subnet which is configured on
> one of the
> local network interface it will work. I've used something similar on a
> NetBSD system acting as an IPsec VPN gateway.

Yes, that does work using proxyarp as long as the addresses are on
the same
subnet.  But what if they're not?  Can NetBSD still do it? If I try
to set a
public interface NetBSD apparently claims it lacks intuition (though
FreeBSD
folks say this is typo, it makes sense):

> # arp -s 192.168.0.201 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx pub
> cannot intuit interface index and type for 192.168.0.20

Where 'xx:xx..' is the actual hardware ethernet address of the public
interface.

So can NetBSD do this or would it only be able to do it for a 'real'
ip address?