Subject: Re: Forwarding?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/05/2007 10:22:43
> I'm preparing to move up to a NetBSD 3.1 machine.  As a temporary
> measure, I have connected the new machine to my existing one via a
> serial cable and (with help! :-) built a SLIP connection between
> them...  [tinman SLIP to almond 10baseT to NAT to world]

> What is the cleanest, simplest way to let tinman share almond's
> Internet connectivity?

My money would be on using proxy arp.  Create a proxy arp entry on
almond for tinman's IP, and set tinman's default route to point to
almond's end of the SLIP link, and it should all Just Work.

> I would like to fetch pkgsrc

Over a serial line?  I hope you have lots of patience.  Even if you're
using a baudrate like 115200, that'll take a long time.

> I looked in the NetBSD Guide, but it seemed to point towards NAT on
> almond, which feels like overkill.

I agree.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign