Subject: Re: Non-continious network mask support
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/02/2007 10:15:59
>> If we [remove routes to noncontiguous netmasks], I think we either
>> should forbid noncontiguous netmasks on interfaces or add
>> corresponding code somewhere to do the splitting you refer to when
>> adding or removing interface routes for interfaces with
>> noncontiguous netmasks.
> I want to kill the "feature" completely.

Another reason to be glad I'mn not tracking -current, I guess.  (I'd
much rather just pay a performance penalty if noncontiguous netmasks
are used.  But I don't expect my opinion to make much difference.)

> I don't want the kernel to handle it at all -- I don't think any
> non-local network still depends on it, so admins should be able to
> convert the networks accordingly if they still have such rules.

You can't imagine any reason to use them, so no such reason exists?

Hrrmpf.  (Well, actually, I suppose it's more "...so you're willing to
make NetBSD useless for such networks".  Still hrrmpf.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign