Subject: Re: 'wiconfig -D' failing with ioctl: Operation now in progress
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Liam J. Foy <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/30/2006 23:14:52
On 30 Dec 2006, at 21:05, David Young wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 08:38:06PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>> 	Since updating to NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (from NetBSD 3) I've
>> 	been unable to get wiconfig -D to work. I've tried with
>> 	ath0, rtw0, and iwi0 on two different machines.
>>
>> 	In all cases the ioctl() SIOCGWAVELAN loop times out without
>> 	getting any result.
>>
>> 	Increasing retries from 10 to 60 (sec) did not affect the result.
>>
>> 	Is there anything I should be looking at to try to track this
>> 	down?
>
> David,
>
> Did it work with ath, rtw, and iwi on NetBSD 3?  I did not think it
> did.
> I only expect for it to work with wi.  Everything other driver is
> a toss-up.
>
> I have been saying so for some time, but here we go again: NetBSD
> *really*
> needs to borrow the 'list scan' functions from ifconfig in FreeBSD.
> All of the kernel support should be in NetBSD already.  Borrowing
> those
> functions does not require any 802.11 expertise.  Don't wait for me to
> do it, I haven't the time or the interest.

Quoting what Sam Leffler said:

"wi probably does not integrate properly with net80211.  That's true on
freebsd at least.  If you try something like ath, ral, atw, rtw, etc.
then it should work.  Unfortunately many legacy drivers are not properly
integrated with net80211 and noone cares to fix them."

		---
		Liam J. Foy
		<liamjfoy@netbsd.org>