Subject: Re: cellphone modem troubles
To: Matthias Ferdinand <mf+tech-net@mfedv.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/26/2006 08:26:17
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 03:53:05AM +0100, Matthias Ferdinand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I converted my Compaq Armada M700 notebook (P3) from SuSE Linux 9.1 to
> NetBSD3.0. While most other things work ok,  I seem to have trouble
> accessing the data/fax capability of my cellphone (Siemens ME45 or Siemens
> S35) from the notebook. Connected via data cable to serial port /dev/tty00.

This should just work - at least I had another two Siemens phones work
with some Notebooks and NetBSD until very recently.

> Dec 26 03:14:00 shlab pppd[173]: Modem hangup
> Dec 26 03:14:00 shlab pppd[173]: Connection terminated.

Hm. Try to use the non-DCD device, /dev/dty00, instead.

> Dec 26 03:14:02 shlab pppd[173]: Exit.
>
> Immediately after "Serial connection established", pppd says "Modem
> hangup".
>
> And sometimes (very rarely, indeed), it says "not 8-bit clean":

This happens when ppp connection is trying to start negotiation while
the modem is in command mode.

crtscts should be ok; combine with (no)modem and maybe (no)local.

And try /dev/dty00 as mentioned above.

> I am running out of things to try. Can somebody give me some more hints?
> Perhaps I need to look into 8N1 (... not 8-bit clean ...), where is this
> set in pppd (or outside of pppd?) ?

Always.

If this doesn't help, we'd need a log of the PPP negotiations to find
out what happens - use kdebug 7 and log the kernel debug messages to
some file using appropriate syslog.conf settings.

Regards,

	-is