Subject: Re: works in progress: route cache invalidation, RADIX_MPATH
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2006 23:21:00
On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 01:09:16AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 01:33:30PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> > * Route-cache invalidation
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/joerg/rtcache.diff
>
> This is part one to actually do this. The difference to David's approach
> is that I want to actually abstract the route cache (re)validation and
> ultimately avoid doing the domain specific flushing.
>
> The patch starts this by changing all the proper rtfree calls to the new
> API and starts to adjust the various updates. The next part will add
> rtcache_check() calls in the various places where the cached route is
> accessed and enforcing the calls to rtcache_init().

Joerg,

I like what you have done here, but your work (and by that I mean the
analysis of the code, and to a lesser extent, the subroutines extracted)
and mine appear to be essentially the same.  I am going to commit my
work, which I have tested and found to solve the problem it was designed
to solve, and then begin the mechanical changes that are necessary to
reconcile your patches with mine.  I hope to avoid impeding your work
at abstracting the route cache, which is very desirable, but it may be
necessary for me to sleep before I finish reconciling the patches.

Dave