Subject: Re: NetBSD in BSD Router / Firewall Testing
To: Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/01/2006 11:46:41
On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:31:23AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> ipintrq:
>         queue length: 0
>         maximum queue length: 256
>         packets dropped: 133721212

You may actually be able to get the broadcom driver to do this, too
(not that you'd *want* to, but it would be an interesting experiment!)
by turning the interrupt moderation all the way up -- in the bge driver,
it can be turned up by hand.  I think what's going on is that because
the packets you're sending are so small, the wm driver's dumping more
than a queuefull of them onto the network stack at each interrupt; it
is coalescing too aggressively.  I will see about adding some
diagnostics for this.

But I think there is _also_ still another issue.  Still, let's fix
what we can, while we can.

Thor