Subject: Re: NetBSD in BSD Router / Firewall Testing
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/01/2006 11:49:59
On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:15:04PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Stock FreeBSD, or modified FreeBSD ?  With RELENG_4 I can push over
> 1Mpps.  All of the test setups I used saw input errors when I tried
> to push too many packets through the box.  I really dont know much
> about NetBSD but it too will have some sort of limit as to how much
> it can forward. Once its limit is hit, how does it report that
> ?  Does it just silently drop the packet ? Or does it show up as an
> input error ?

Input errors are problems of the hardware, not dropped packets (*). Try
"netstat -q" if you want to see whether the queues dropped packets --
otherwise they are processed.

(*) If the RX processing can't keep up, it might signal it as error, not
sure. That would hint to an interrupt problem though.

Joerg